And You Are???? .....

Type A Images is a portrait and wedding photography company based in Wisconsin but available for any place your little heart desires! If you are interested in booking your event or session, hit me up on email!

Type A Images has been featured on The Rock and Roll Bride blog, The Offbeat Bride Blog, WeddingWire's Brides Choice for 2010 and 2011, and The Knot Best Of Weddings for 2011. Type A also offers a hospice photography program called Kindred Spirits through the Beloit Regional Hospice, which was featured as WPPI's Photolanthropy of the Month for September 2010.

2.22.2010

This Camera Takes Great Pictures! | Milwaukee Wedding Photographer

So, I'm settling in this morning with Fox 6 News to get the latest on the massive snowfall we're supposed to get and the latest goings-on in our area when something caught my interest: A quick interview with the technology-guru from a camera show in Anaheim talking about the latest Samsung DSLR.


Mr. Guru kicked off his segment with this:
"Now, when I really want to get my "photo on" I normally hire a professional photographer....but now you don't have to!!!"

Um....que?

"This is the new Samsung GX-10 and this camera doesn't take a bad picture!"

Yeah, I beg to differ. I betcha it can!

I don't know why this 10 second blip that most people probably ignored bothered me so much. Maybe it was the continuation of the myth that its the CAMERA that takes the picture, not the photographer. Maybe it's a news organization spreading the idea that professionals are not necessary if you have a "nice camera".

You can spend all the money you have on the latest gadget and its not going to guarantee sharp, properly exposed, or creative images. If you just want to snap relatively clear shots of your kid than I am totally behind the purchase of an DSLR for anyone....but it's the assumption by this guy and others that the purchase of such a camera renders professionals unnecessary.

We've all seen the bad that can come from failing to hire a professional when one is probably warranted.

To put it in perspective, let's imagine this scenario: Gus, the home-improvement guy from Fox 6, jumps on TV with the latest nail gun in hand. Wow! This nail gun sure is fancy...and fool-proof! Any dolt can figure it out. In fact...this NAIL GUN builds AWESOME houses. It cannot build a bad house! Who needs a contractor when you have this nail gun?

This is not to say that owners of the nail gun can't build a birdhouse every once in awhile and probably do an okay job....but when it comes to building houses, leave it to the professionals. Even if you think your nail gun does all the work.

I felt better though as I continued to watch the segment and it proceeded to get Rick Rolled (my husband claims it was intentional...but I'm not so sure).

Serves you right, Fox 6!

If you want to see this ridiculous segment, see it here:


3 Peanut Gallery.:

Tammi said...

Wow, that was abseloutely awful. So apparently I am wasting thousands of dollars right as we speak going to school to become a photographer. I see why it would annoy anyone.

C. said...

Haha, nice!

Anonymous said...

I agree with you 100% and have the awful wedding photos to prove it. Even professionals with the right equipment can take bad photos if they don't know how to use it.
Your photos are incredible and I especially love your new hospice work, amazing and very generous.


So You're EnGAYged Professional Photographer Member of the DWFWeddings, Wedding Venues2011 Bride's Choice Awards | Best Wedding Photographers, Wedding Dresses, Wedding Cakes, Wedding Florists, Wedding Planners & More